Thursday, May 15, 2008

Bloggers Unite For Human Rights - 15 May 2008

Ever since I became a father on 9 Nov 2007, I have cherished and loved every minute of it. This beautiful gift I received also came with some new found responsibility. Everytime I hold my daughter, my mind is filled with future plans and dreams for her. She is my responsibility, and I will do everything and anything within my abilities to ensure she has the best that life can offer. In my personal opinion, as parents and adults, we are supposed to carers, teachers, mentors and many more positive examples for the little ones. This is something, I personally believe should come naturally, especially once we become parents. However, if you look around the world today, many children are suffering. They have been exploited as child labour or soldiers, prostituted for sick-minded individuals who think that money can buy anything and have even been raped by their own parents. This is something that should never be tolerated. I have never understood how a father can have the heart to raped his own daughter. To me, no punishment in our global legal system will ever be enough to punish such monsters who prey on their own flesh and blood. Defenceless, impressionable young children deserve a happy childhood. We OWE them a living because we brought them into this world!

Although many of us are mere individuals without any significant clout, I believe that human rights for children around the world can improve drastically as long as we have the conviction to. Spreading the word one person at a time is a potent enough action that can bring about a tremendous positive change.

Always remember that the children are our future and their present are our responsibility. There are no problem children, only problem parents.
Digg ThisAdd To Del.icio.us Add To Furl Add To Reddit Fav This With Technorati Add To Yahoo MyWeb Add To Newsvine Add To Google Bookmarks Add To Bloglines Add To Ask Add To Windows Live Add To Slashdot Stumble This

6 comments:

Ellen said...

Hi Joshua,

I couldn't agree with you more! Children are the most important, most vulnerable but at the same time the most neglected group in our society..

The horrors children have to suffer, often even resulting in their death, are incomprehendable.. Imagining a child living a short life, knowing only pain and fear, instead of love, comfort and caring, literally breaks my heart..

Bringing those issues into the spotlight, over and over again, will hopefully contribute to a better world for our children.
One of my posts on it is here, you might like it..

Anyway, wishing you precious moments with your daughter (who probably wasn't born on Nov 9, 2008 right??)

Ellen

JWee said...

Hi Ellen, yes you are right, my baby was born on 9 Nov 2007. Haha my bad.........will check out your post. Yes, we have to keep bring up those issues to reiterate and bring about a heightened sense of awareness.

Abby said...

I wholeheartedly agree. If we cannot give basic rights and freedoms to our own children, what does that say about us as a species?
Children all over the world are beaten and brutalized and in some countries even used as slaves.
I hope that this day, Bloggers Unite, will open up the eyes of many people, and perhaps encourage more bloggers to post more regularly about important issues.

Unknown said...

Your approach as a parent speaking to other parents is so very well presented. You are right: parents MUST do all they can to protect their children from harm and protect the freedoms deserving of each child. And not just for our own children, but for ALL children.

Dave Donelson said...

A beautiful post. Thanks for your thoughts on this important human rights issue. As the Preamble to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights reminds us, “…recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world.”

Dave Donelson, author of Heart of Diamonds

JWee said...

Abby, Penny and Dave:
My heartfelt thanks for your affirmations to my post and your agreements. It will certainly spur me on to pen down more on Human Rights for Children. God Bless each of you and your families.

Cheers,
Josh